Notary Public Services – International Travel and Parental Consent

Notary public services supporting parental consent to travel

It might sound strange, but you may need a notary public if you are intending to travel to countries other than Australia with your children.

Although Australia seems to be fairly relaxed about children travelling overseas (unless, of course, they are on an Australian Federal Police airport watch list), it is apparent in our experience that other countries around the world take a more strict approach, especially when children travel with one parent or without their parents. So while you might be able to leave Australia with your child, even without the child’s other parent, it may not be so easy for you to enter your intended destination country without the right paperwork – the parental consent form.

As a leading provider of notary public services, we often witness the signature of parents or guardians who give consent for their child to travel overseas without them. In many cases, their child will be travelling with someone else, usually being the other parent or guardian or with a third party adult (ie, another family member such as grandparents, aunties or uncles). Occasionally, their child may even be travelling unaccompanied. But regardless of the arrangement, if we are asked to notarise a consent form as a notary public, it is generally because the parent who needs to sign the parental consent form will not be travelling with their child.

While the form, format and language of the parental consent form may vary between different countries, they all indicate that the person signing the form agrees to allow their child (or children) identified by name and passport to travel overseas with someone else (also normally specified by name, passport and sometimes by the local identification number or document). Some forms also indicate that the child may remain in the intended destination country and that the person specified in the form may have authority to look after and care for the child for a specified period of time. It is important to ensure that the form used is the form that will be accepted in the intended destination country, so check with the relevant foreign office for more information. What is common between all types of the form is that they need to be notarised by a notary public in order to be valid in the intended destination country.

The use of a parental consent form to travel goes one way to prevent international child abduction, or at least to ensure that there is no dispute over a child’s intended travel plans and that they not just known to both parents, but also agreed to by both parents.

If you are a parent, you are resident in Australia and your child will be travelling overseas without you, you may need to provide a parental consent form that is valid in the intended destination country to allow your child to travel. The parental consent form will be used overseas and therefore it will probablly need to be notarised by our notary public. Also depending on the intended destination country, check whether the notarised parental consent form must be authenticated and legalised.

Phang Legal - 15 years serving the community

Do you have any questions regarding this article?

If you have never had to have a document notarised before, you may find our role as a notary public, the notary public services that we provide, and this whole process (especially authentication, legalisation and apostille) to be confusing and daunting. Do not worry! We are here to try to simplify it, make it easy for you to understand, and to guide you or assist you with achieving your desired goal.

Please contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information regarding this article or our notary public services.

Click here to see the flowchart that we created to help you understand the process regarding notarisation, apostille, authentication and legalisation.

So, what next?

If you are now ready to proceed with having your document notarised, please visit our Notary Fees page for a FREE quote on our notary public services or just call us on 02 9687 8885 and speak to our friendly staff about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We are a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney known for our low-cost fixed fee notary services, our availability to provide notary public services on short notice, and our focus on personal and timely notary public services. With our offices conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area, our notary public assists clients from across all suburbs of Sydney and beyond.

Ern Phang, Notary Public

Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, an incorporated legal practice in Parramatta and a leading provider of notary public services to clients across Sydney. Extensive experience and low-cost fixed prices ensures quality services and satisfied clients.

Ern Phang is the solicitor director of Phang Legal and a notary public. Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the kinds of issues faced by his clients in sending documents overseas.

All information contained in this article is for general purposes only and correct as at the time of publication. You should only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.

Posted: 2011-08-10 08:00:38 / Last edited: 2013-11-12 13:36:47

The post Notary Public Services – International Travel and Parental Consent appeared first on Parramatta Notary Public Sydney.