India – Passports and Affidavits

When do you need a notary public for your Indian Passport?

Indian citizens in Australia may require a number of Indian passport services from the Indian Consulate (via VFS Global). Those services can include:

  • Applying for a new Indian passport (on expiry of an existing passport)
  • Adding or deleting a spouse from an Indian passport
  • Recording a change of address
  • Recording a change of appearance*
  • Change of name after marriage or divorce
  • Change of name for other reasons
  • Reporting a lost or damaged Indian passport
  • Applying for the first passport for a minor (under 18 years)
  • Applying for a passport for a minor

*the last time we assisted a client with this, he wore a turban in his original passport photograph but had stopped wearing a turban since.

In the past, the applications/documents needed for each of these services included declarations that had to be witnessed by a notary public and notarised. However, over the years the requirements have changed. Now, most of the applications/documents required for various passport services for Indian citizens in Australia can be signed in front of a Justice of the Peace. In fact, all of the applications/documents can be signed in front of a JP except – FORM V relating to an application for a lost/damaged passport.

Lost/Damaged Indian Passport

FORM V is titled ‘AFFIDAVIT FOR A PASSPORT IN LIEU OF LOST/DAMAGED PASSPORT’ requiring the applicant Indian citizen to complete their details on the affidavit, stating how and when their Indian passport was lost or damaged, as well travel and residence details. The applicant must sign the affidavit in front of a notary public and the notary public must notarise the form.

We regularly assist many clients with identifying them, witnessing their signature and notarising their application form. Even if their passport is lost or damaged, clients must still be able to identify themselves with some form of government issued photograph identification document, which could be their Indian passport if it is not lost and has not been damaged beyond recognition, or an Australian drivers licence or government issued photograph card. Being familiar with this kind of document and the formal requirements for notarisation, we are able to complete the necessary work quickly and for a fixed notary fee.