Croatia – Notarising your documents and stamping with an apostille

CroatiaAs a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we regularly assist people who have property, business or legal matters in Croatia. If you live in Sydney but you need to sign documents for Croatia, then it is likely you will need to have your signature witnessed by a notary public and your documents notarised.

For example, if you want to appoint someone to act on your behalf in Croatia, you will need to sign a document (often titled autorizacija, punomoć, ovlašćenje, or opunomoćenje) that legally empowers that person to handle your legal affairs in Croatia.

On the other hand, if you need to send certified copies of Australian documents to Croatia (ie, education documents, birth certificates / krštenica, marriage certificates / vjenčanica or death certificates / smrtovnica etc) then it is likely that you will need to have those documents certified and notarised by a notary public.

In both cases, after your documents for Croatia have been notarised, you need to arrange for the notarised documents to be stamped with an apostille. As a signatory to the Apostille Convention, Croatia will recognise documents stamped with an apostille. The apostille can only be issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Australia. We process a high volume of notarised documents with DFAT and DFAT retain a copy of our signature and seal to aid in the verification process necessary for them to issue an apostille on documents notarised by us.

We often help people with both requirements (notarisation and apostille). The cost of having your document notarised and stamped with an apostille depends on the nature and number of documents, including whether you need or prefer to have your documents bound.

Assisting clients with legal documents to Croatia

One of the biggest challenges of living in Australia but trying to manage your property, business or legal matters in Croatia is in obtaining the right legal advice and representation in Croatia. Fortunately, aside from our notary public services, we work closely with a practising Croatian lawyer based in Sydney. This means that we can also assist you with your property, business or legal matters in Croatia if you need legal advice or representation. Please contact us for further information regarding legal advice and representation in Croatia.

Consulate-General of the Republic of Croatia

If you retain your Croatian citizenship, you could also make further enquiries with the Croatian consulate in Sydney (telephone: (02) 9299 8899) for assistance – however, regardless of any advice that you receive in Australia, you should always check with your lawyer in Croatia (or with our Croatian lawyer).

EDIT: Although we no longer offer assistance with Croatian legal services, we can still provide notary public services for documents going to Croatia.