VEVO – Verifying your visa

Notary certificate and Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

On 1 September 2015, the Australian Government stopped issuing visa labels for Australian visas in favour of issuing electronic visas. All visa records are now stored in a central database which enables online checking of visa details by visa holders, registered Australian organisations and airline staff. The online checking of visa details is known as Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

As a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we are often asked by clients to verify their visa status so that they can prove their Australian residency overseas. In addition to notarising visa labels as part of the passport, we can also verify visa information through VEVO and notarise the search results or provide confirmation that the information obtained through VEVO is consistent with other supporting documentation (ie, passport).

Our access through VEVO is limited compared to what you may be able to obtain through your own access, but contains enough information to be able to identify the passport number and the residency status. We can then compare that information with the passport of the relevant passport holder allowing us to verify the information generally associated with the passport or with the visa. Notarising your visa information will generally involve issuing a notary certificate which will include information about the visa obtained through VEVO, copies of the search results (if necessary) and certified copies of the passport.

(Be aware that some foreign governments are ‘sensitive’ about how their own documents are treated and will not accept copies of ‘their’ passports being notarised in Australia. Those foreign governments may reject any documents containing notarised copies of passports being attached to a notary certificate).

You should always check whether this information (in the absence of any other information) will be suitable, sufficient or acceptable in the intended destination country. If you are unsure, please obtain advice and guidance from a suitably qualified lawyer in that country.