What do I do if someone is pretending to be me on Facebook?

Based on the Facebook FAQ found at http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=117152291702875.

Interesting, but true. The rise of social media and Facebook presents an ‘new’ but sad problem when it comes to impersonation and identity theft. As this can have both social and financial consequence, we have dedicated this article to exploring how you can address this issue if it affects you and what Facebook does/can do, and what Facebook will require from you.

Identifying your impostor on Facebook

If someone is pretending to be you on Facebook, what can you do? Facebook provides a process that you must follow in order to verify your identity and your details before they will provide you with more information about the person who is pretending to be you.

What does Facebook have to do with a notary public?

Facebook requires your identity to be verified by a notary public. You must provide Facebook with a statement verifying your identity, and that statement must be notarised by a notary public. So if you live in Sydney, but need to verify your identity to Facebook in order to obtain information about the person who is pretending to be you on Facebook, you need contact us immediately.

If you are already concerned with what this person who is pretending to be you on Facebook may be doing, then you should act as soon as possible otherwise any delay could result in further damage to your social status and reputation.

So what next?

What happens once you have found the person who has been pretending to be you? There are a number of options available to you, depending on the nature and the seriousness of the impersonation – and for that person (the impostor) there can be a range of criminal and civil liabilities, including damages and compensation. But in the first instance, we believe that you should be reporting it to your local police to see what evidence they can gather and whether there are sufficient grounds to bring charges. Having done that, you may want to consider whether you can take legal (civil) action.