A complicated divorce can be expensive
Is there ever a simple divorce? Probably not. Divorces are emotionally and socially messy, yet from the legal perspective there can be situations in which certain divorces could be considered relatively simple – and considering increased complexity often results in increased cost, making it simple is the best way to keep the costs down.
For a start, here’s a description of what I would consider a simple divorce.
- You and your spouse agree to divorce.
- You and your spouse have been married for more than 2 years and have been separated more than 1 year.
- You and your spouse do not live and have not been living under the same roof during your separation.
- You and your spouse do not have any children.
- You and your spouse have children who are all over 18 years of age.
- You and your spouse have children who are under 18 years of age and you have agreed who will look after them.
- You have agreed to all financial matters and how everything that you and your spouse owned will be divided between you.
Here’s a description of what I would consider a complex divorce.
- You and your spouse disagree on everything!
Yes, believe me – it happens. Sometimes disagreement on one thing can lead to disagreement on everything, and sometimes even agreements can cause disagreement – such is the emotional and stressful nature of relationship disputes and divorce. As lawyers, our role can also include helping you to find perspective which in the long term is easier to justify and harder to regret than making decisions on emotion and impulse.
Attempting to make your divorce as simple as possible requires communication and then agreement. Any agreement has the possibility of narrowing the issues that requires legal intervention. At the end of the day, I hope that our role is to facilitate your joint wishes to become a legal reality.
A personal invitation
Before choosing any professional adviser, I encourage you to base your decision on more than just a price. Price does not always equate to value, service or long term cost savings – and not every lawyer you speak to will have the ‘bedside manner’, empathy or commitment necessary to help you on this challenging journey.
With Phang Legal, you benefit from practical and cost effective advice, recommendations and solutions. My aim is that we will be one of your most trusted and valued professional advisers. My team’s dedication to service and results means you will enjoy confidence and peace of mind while we look after what’s best for you and those important to you. Living through a relationship breakdown is difficult, and normally obtaining legal advice and support is an expensive exercise. My hope is our professional advice and objective opinion will help steady you during this difficult time – after all, even if your relationship is over, you’re still entitled to be treated fairly and with respect.
If you want to know more about Phang Legal or our services, please contact me and my team on +61 2 9687 8885 or you can email us here.
I look forward to being of service.